Monday, May 7, 2012

Trip to Fort Langley

I know, I know it's been WAY too long since I posted anything on here.  In my defense this was supposed to be a joint project and so far Trevor hasn't held up his end of the bargain!
Here is a daytrip we made back in January.
In January we had two students visit us from Japan.  When asked what they would like to see during their short stay in Canada they said that they would like to see something historical.  What better place to go to than Fort Langley.  We had a bit of a rush since we only have from 11 - 3 to be away from home, but we managed with a quick bite to eat on our way home, and a bunch of snacks to tie us over until then.
 The ever happy Kendra!  I must say I am really enjoying having a four year old in the house!  Always something new to explore and a new expression to learn!
 Abby trying her hand at building a house!  The wood slats fit into the grooved wood posts.  Seems that it would be pretty chilly in the winter.
 This was one of the interpretive staff.  He was of native heritage and some of his ancestors worked in the fort a long time ago.  He was so neat to listen to, and really tried to make an effort to speak so the Japanese students could understand him.
 Trying to carry the heavy packs...
 This lady was explaining how the Spanish lived in the fort.  She wanted Abby and Kendra to guess which bed was for the parents, and which was for the children...
 A view of the fort from the top of the walls that surround it.
 An example of the animal pelts that the Natives would have used in trading.
Abby and Kendra trying their hand at playing checkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment